Monday 21 March 2016

Aurora Wings Guest Designer

Big News!! I was asked to be a guest designer at Aurora Wings this month for the Anything Goes Challenge, and as you can guess, I was beyond flattered (and excited)!! Mitzi Sato-Wiuff, the artist behind Aurora Wings, is celebrating the two year anniversary of the Aurora Wings Challenge Blog this month, so things are going to run a little differently for this challenge. The ATG challenge that starts today is going to have TWICE as many winners as usual. That means that there will be 2 ACA winners, 2 random winners, and 6 DT's picks!! How awesome is that?

Before I get to my project, I want to tell you about some "crafting for a cause" going on in the Aurora Wings Facebook group HERE. Mitzi is sponsoring a fundraiser until April 3, 2016, on YouCaring to help with conservation of the Slow Loris. As a thank you for donating any amount to her YouCaring fundraiser she is offering a gift of a digital stamp drawn specifically for this event, "Slow Loris Sprite". If you donate a minimum of $10 you also receive a "Slow Loris in Leaves" digital stamp. Both of these images are Special Edition and will not be offered in her store at a later date.

With these Special Edition stamps you can enter the Slow Loris colouring contest in the Facebook group until April 10, 2016. The prizes are as follows: One Artist's Choice Winner ($30 USD in digis + blog badge), one random winner ($30 USD in digis), top 5 (2 digis per person + blog badge), honorable mention (blog badge). All participates in this contest will also receive a 'special mention' blog badge for supporting the cause. All of the details about the fundraising and some awesome Design Team inspiration pieces can be found on the Showcase blog HERE.

And now to my project!! I created a little canvas with Orchid Fairy with detailed Butterfly Wings - Shades of Blue. I coloured the image with Prismacolor pencils.


To create the canvas I put down a layer of black gesso on a 5"x7" canvas. After the gesso dried, I used Faber Castell Gel Medium and a Tim Holtz Doily stencil to create some texture. Before the gel dried, I added little metal beads hoping they would adhere and dry in the gel (which they did!). After the gel was dry, I used Lindy Stamp Gang sprays in Hydrangea Blue and Lucky Shamrock Green, to add some shimmer and subtle colour to the canvas. I tried to stay in the same colour families that I used on my image so as not to distract from that.

Texture from stencil and the metal beads
I added two small silver metal filigree corner embellishments before affixing the image on the canvas. I almost always like to go a little crooked and off center when placing my image on a project. Maybe because I'm a little off center. haha!! I can hardly help myself. It just looks too neat and tidy to me otherwise.

Texture from stencil using gel medium
As a final touch, I added some mulberry paper flowers to the corners of the image, again staying in the same colour family as my image.
Paper flowers from Wild Orchid Crafts
So that's my turn as a Guest Designer at Aurora Wings. It was a fun little project to do. I hope you like it and I hope you'll leave a little love below in the comments! xoxoxo

6 comments:

  1. We're so thrilled top have you Guest Designing for us for our special 2 Year Anniversary challenge, Myndi! And what a glorious canvas! Your coloring has an amazing depth that I've never been able to achieve with pencils and the details are beyond beautiful. Fabulous texture on the canvas itself, too. Thanks so much for joining us this month, and also for mentioning our Slow Loris Fundraiser and FB event. xxD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on being a GDT! Beautiful project and gorgeous colouring

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for being our Guest Designer for our special anniversary challenge today, Myndi! I love reading about the steps you took to create this gorgeous canvas and all the close-up photos! Love the unique texture created on the canvas with the use of doily stencil. It's a gorgeous backdrop for your beautiful coloring. I'm a big Prismacolor fan (been one for decades), so I love and appreciate what you've achieved here - great rich saturation of colors and wonderful value contrast! Thank you again for being our GD, and thank you so much for your support of our slow loris fundraiser. It's so kind of you to do a thorough write-up, too. I appreciate it very much!!
    Mitzi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful project you have created, your coloring is so pretty! Thanks for being our GDT.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely creation and such lovely colouring, hugs, Marion

    ReplyDelete
  6. This coloring is simply stunning!!!!! You did an amazing job!!!!

    ReplyDelete