Wednesday 22 July 2015

Once Upon A Time

It is time for a new challenge in The East Wind Facebook group. The theme is Once Upon A Time. We are challenging you to find an image from The East Wind's Etsy shop and make it fit a fairytale or story book theme. Think outside the box. Think of villains and not just the protagonists of the story. Think of the original stories, and not the Disney versions we all know so well. I took the easy way out, I will admit. I chose Lucy Loo "Mermaid", but I researched a bit and found a quote from the original story by Hans Christian Andersen. His story is a bit darker than the animated movie we are more familiar with, and I think the darker story goes with Unky's images. 

Lucy Loo "Mermaid"
I coloured this with Copics. I added some scales to her using a technique I learned in the Skin & Hair Class at Kit & Clowder. It had been a while since I did them so I was crossing my fingers they turned out. They didn't blob together, which is good, but they are hard to see in the picture. I had some Canson watercolor paper that I used to watercolor a background. None of my papers really gave it that sea feel I was looking for, but this turned out pretty well, I think.



After reading some excerpts from the original story, I think I might have to give it a read. The Sea Witch cuts out the little mermaid's tongue, which is pretty hardcore. I wonder if it would give my kids nightmares. 

Thanks for stopping by and taking a look at my DT inspiration for the new challenge. Make sure you head over there and pop your own make into the challenge folder. Check out the blog too! There are two challenges a month there, including the 1st of the month challenge which involves the freebie you get in your newsletter. You're not getting the newsletter? Sign Up!! There's a bright pink box near the top of the page for you to enter your email address.

I'm entering this in the following challenges:
Freshly Brewed Designs - Let's Go Swimming
Crafty Sentiments - ATG
Digi Choosday - All About the Girl
Through the Craft Room Door - ATG
Artistic Inspirations - ATG
Craft Your Passion Challenges - ATG


xx

9 comments:

  1. Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at Craft Your Passion, good luck!!! Amy DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet card! Thank you for sharing at Artistic Inspirations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the feeling of your background.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great make, stunning colouring! Thanks for joining us in our All About The Girl challenge at Digi Choosday
    Anjie (DT Team Leader)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning colouring!!! Thank you for joining us at Digi Choosday Challenges. Good luck. Monica.-dt

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow your colouring is amazing!! Thankyou for joining us over at Digi Choosday' for our 'All about the girl' challenge. Hope to see you again soon. Lynda DT xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great card and fantastic colouring! Thank you for sharing your creation with us at Craft Your Passion.
    DT Myriam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow your colouring is fab, thank you for joining us at Digi Choosday for our ‘All about the Girl’ Challenge, hope to see you again. Emma DT x

    ReplyDelete