Wednesday 8 July 2015

Mixed Media Attempt

I really love mixed media. I don't know all the ins and outs of it yet, but I'm learning, and that's half the fun. The other half is frustration and uncertainty. "How do I do this? Is that enough? Should I do more?" The questions are endless in the beginning, or so it seems. I have a lot more questions than answers, and not a lot of time to watch tutorials on YouTube. Apparently, I'm going to need a few more hours in my day, and a much bigger jug of gesso. 

So here goes, a little mixed media piece I did for my niece's birthday. 



I picked up an initial at Michaels, a couple of wooden embellishments ("love", the dolphin, and a butterfly), used a metal butterfly from my stash, along with some flowers, buttons, and a polka dot stencil. I made some texture paste from talc powder (have a good collection of that from my twins, now that they're out of diapers), white glue, and gesso. Did I mention I need a bigger jug of that? I will need some more glue too, from the looks of it. My husband will be so happy I need to go buy MORE stuff for my crafting addiction. 

I applied gesso on everything. After it was dry on the letter I used the stencil and the texture paste to create the raised dots. Then I glued everything on with Beacon's 3-in-1 glue. Then I started spraying. And that was the hard part. I used Lindy's Stamp Gang sprays in Victorian Bouquet. Mostly I used the Purple Teal and the Hydrangea Blue, along with some Rambling Rose Pink. I used the other two colours in the set also, but didn't like the way they were coming together, so I went over them. After it dried overnight, I added some Pretty in Pink Pink from the Totally 80's set. This was the hard part because I had a hard time deciding when to stop, what to spray where, and what colours. I was really overthinking it. 

After the sprays dried I randomly applied some Viva Decor Inka Gold in Silver. Then I went over the raised bits with Viva Decor Precious Metal Colors in Silver Red. And that was it. Done! I'm not putting anything else on there. I could keep adding and adding, but I really need to step away from it. 

I hope you like it. Thanks for stopping by!!

4 comments:

  1. Wow Myndi, I can't believe this is your first mixed media project. It's beautiful! I imagine your niece will love it:)
    Hugs, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute! Love your mixed media project! - New follower :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Myndi, this is absolutely gorgeous! Love everything about it! Found your blog through PPC.
    Hugs, Renee

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so beautiful!! I wonder how it will look with an L for my granddaughter. Must try this!! The S is absolutely a gorgeous design!! New follower, too!! Saw you at PPC!
    Hugs
    Darcy

    ReplyDelete